IoTree: TLS Encryption for LoRaWAN
LoRaWAN is a Low Power Wide Area Network specification for wireless battery powered systems in a regional, national or even global network. LoRaWAN targets the most important requirements of the Internet of Things (IoT), e.g. bidirectional communication, localization and mobility of services. TLS over LoRaWAN is a simple software extension that on the one hand fixes known vulnerabilities and on the other hand provides WAN-compatible end-to-end security according to TR-03116–3.
LoRaWAN as the Gold Standard of IoT Connectivity
LoRaWAN radio technology has emerged as the Gold Standard for IoT connectivity in recent years. This is due to its special characteristics, which enable the economical operation of a wide area network:
- Long ranges with high building coverage of 1.5 to 2 km (Deep-Indor in the city)
- Low power consumption due to low data rates (0.3 kBits/s to 50 kBits/s)
- No additional transmission costs due to own radio network and license-free radio technology (ISM Band 868 MHz)
LoRaWAN Requires Additional Security
While the common LoRaWAN has many advantages over other radio technologies, it does not correspond to the state of the art in IT security. Attackers could permanently disrupt the connection and decrypt or even manipulate the transmitted data. Thus, the BSI prefers TLS encryption when using WAN connections according to TR-03116–3, which is not available with the standard LoRaWAN. Especially when dealing with sensitive company data, personal data, as well as when using critical infrastructures, security must not be neglected.
PHYSEC Offers BSI Compliant Security
We are proud to offer a unique, self-developed and patented TLS encryption for LoRaWAN. With it we combine the technical and economical advantages of LoRaWAN with the high security requirements of the BSI. Our solution was developed from the user perspective for Smart Metering, Smart Grid and critical-infrastructure-applications in cooperation with Gelsenwasser.
This is How Our Technology Works
The additional TLS security layer is added to the LoRaWAN protocol without changing it. Thus the system is 100% LoRaWAN compliant. The security technology used is fully mature and uses established crypto standards.
There are no special infrastructure requirements for using encryption and platform integration. Any LoRaWAN network can be used. It is not necessary to exchange the hardware.
The Result: Maximum Security!
- The patented and in LoRaWAN unique TLS encryption protects the confidentiality and authenticity of your sensor and actuator data.
- The mature technology enables you to achieve a high level of security by using established crypto standards.
- Due to constant further developments and updates your network will remain secure in the future.
- The terminal device and server software verify their mutual identity with certificates.
- You retain data sovereignty — neither end device nor software manufacturers manage key material.
Let us convince you of our consistent solution
Have we sparked your interest?
Contact us today and discover even more about the use and advantages of IoTree LoRaWAN. Let us help you use LoRaWAN wireless technology for a variety of use cases. Consulting and Support is our top priority, since we know that each customer has different needs.
React to the rising security threats and prevent the attacks of tomorrow. We at PHYSEC will gladly answer your questions. Talk directly to our executives now.
Dr. Christian Zenger, CEO
Dr. Heiko Koepke, CFO