Manipulation protection for charging stations
Electric cars provide the opportunity for clean and environmentally friendly mobility. As early as 2025, at least 15 percent of all cars sold will be electric. It is obvious that the energy infrastructure must grow along with their number — a dense e‑charging station network in Germany is indispensable. However, for consumers to adapt to e‑cars, it is essential that drivers can rely on the infrastructure — on its availability on the one hand, and on its safety on the other. Because in addition to the opportunities that the e‑mobility revolution brings, there are also new security risks to consider.
Why are the charging stations so insecure?
An ordinary e‑charging point is only weakly secured against physical attacks, or often not secured at all. In some cases, criminals just have to remove two screws to gain access to the software interface.
Possible damage due to attacks on e‑charging stations
- Disturbance of the grid stability
- Manipulation of the smart grid
- Reading and manipulation of users’ personal data
- Power theft
- Extortion of operators by using hardware Trojans
- Large-scale attackers
Examination of the target of the attack
WMore information about the dangers of charging columns from hackers:
A member of the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) demonstrates how an e‑charging point can be physically manipulated within two to three minutes and an electric car can be charged at someone else’s expense.
PHYSEC SEAL offers effective protection against physical intrusion
With the help of our automated 3D condition assessment, we can secure e‑charging points against physical attacks of any kind and make our contribution to ensuring a safe and reliable charging infrastructure.
The benefits of the PHYSEC Integrity Assessment
- PHYSEC’s 3D sensor creates a physical image of the charging stations
- Monitoring the operational 3D environment enables safe operation
- Even state changes in the switched-off system can be detected
- The PHYSEC solution represents an independent and complementary system and thus does not interfere with existing systems
- Existing IT security policies (e.g. Common Criteria) can easily be supplemented with our solution
- No personal data is processed (no contractual data processing)
Respond to the rising threat level and prevent tomorrow’s attacks. We at PHYSEC will be happy to answer your questions. Talk directly to our executives now.
Dr. Christian Zenger, CEO
Dr. Heiko Koepke, CFO